Thursday, August 19, 2010

Sometimes a girl just needs to smash something

I am athletic.

There… I said it.

And I’ll say it again because it’s true.

This is the first time in my entire life that I’ve used that word to describe myself. I don’t know why it took me so long. I was a competitive cheerleader for my entire high school career which is an extremely athletic sport, but I never truly felt like I deserved the label until right now.

I may not be an athlete, but I am athletic.

I want to dance around in a circle chanting, “I’m athletic, I’m athletic” for the rest of the day. I want to say it a thousand times because I’m so proud that I managed to say it even once.

I’ve spent the majority of my life seeing myself in a skewed fashion. Smashing through one of my own preconceived notions about myself feels AH-MAZING! I’ve been refusing to give myself credit for my own achievements, but I don’t want to do that anymore. Why should I be everyone else’s biggest cheerleader but not my own?

Watch out world, I'm busting out of my shell!

No comments:

Post a Comment